This article would be useful to those people, for whom the flight with a cat on a plane is not just mere words, but the real problem needs to be resolved. You should be ready to face certain rules and regulations set by the airlines for pet transportation. It is therefore advisable to contact the agency for booking your flight with a cat in advance to have enough time to discuss with a company specialist all the important moments of transportation and how to prepare your pet to traveling by air.
Planning of a trip
Here is a list of questions that needs to be answered prior to deciding whether to fly with a cat or not:
- Does the country you are visiting allow the entry (or transit) of pets?
- - Which documents are specified by the rules of pet transportation of the country, which border you are going to cross?
- How many pets are permitted per flight (in the cabin or cargo compartment of the aircraft) and whether it is possible to book a ticket with a cat on this particular flight?
- Are there any restrictions on animals transportation on flights of the carrier company you have chosen?
- What factors will affect the amount of the extra fee for a flight with a cat (weight of the animal, size of the container, etc.).
- What requirements are set by the airline to the container / case for animal transportation?
- Is it possible to transport cats in the cabin or in the luggage compartment only?
How much will it cost you to carry a cat on a plane?
Pet transportation fee is not included into total normative luggage cost. Transport of animals is always paid above the norm. Tariffs for transportation of cats are set depending on the distance and direction of a flight, carried out by the chosen company. As a rule, the airlines set different price categories for domestic flights, flights to Europe and long-haul routes (for example, Australia, India, Japan, etc.).
Documents required for the transport of cats
Veterinary certificate which must contain the following information: name and address of the owner; description of the animal (color, nickname, pedigree); type of identification: a brand or a microchip; date and type of vaccination against rabies; indication of serological assay; confirmation of animal treatment against Echinococcus; confirmation of anti-ticks treatment. Immunizations must be made no later than 30 days and not earlier than 11 months before the expected departure. The international veterinary certificate is issued at any state veterinary clinic on the basis of veterinary passport with all the necessary marks.
Several useful tips for preparation of a cat for a flight
A long flight and a sharp change of normal rhythm of life can plunge an animal into the strongest stress. To avoid this, you can note a few tips:
- Take care of purchasing a case / container beforehand. Try to make sure that the animal is accustomed to his portable home – put it in the room, lay a soft blanket and a favorite toy there, in order a cat get used to stay and relax in it.
- It is not recommended to feed a cat 5 hours prior to the departure.
- The process of registration on the fight with the animal may take quite a lot of time, so it is better to arrive to the airport no later than three hours before the departure.
Megan Barrett for Petrelocate – pet transportation company about steps to be taken before hitting the road.