Can Dogs Eat Grapes? – This Info Can Save Your Dog’s Life

Almost all dog owners give treats to their dogs apart from their regular meals. Giving treats is one way people can show their love and affection to their canine friends. But there is one things that every dog owner should know though: not all human treats are safe for dogs. Sometimes we tend to forget that our dogs are from a different species with different dietary requirements and restrictions. One of the food items that can be toxic to dogs is grape. So the answer to the question can dogs eat grapes is a big NO.

Grapes are healthy to humans but for dogs…

The grape is a very popular fruit among humans. This is because apart from being very delicious, grapes are also very nutritious. Almost all varieties of grapes are packed with vitamin C and other antioxidants that can protect the human body from diseases. Grapes are also low in calorie so it is an ideal fruit to eat for people who are on a diet. To dogs though eating grapes can cause health problems and can even cause death. Scientists and health experts are yet to discover what it is in grapes that make it toxic to dogs.  As of the writing of this article, more studies are being conducted about the effects of grapes on dogs.

Dogs and grapes: a short history

It was in 1989 when the attention to the toxicity of grapes to dogs was given attention. That year, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or ASPCA began to discover a disturbing trend when it received reports of dogs developing acute kidney failure after eating grapes or raisins. The reports came from all over the United States.  Apart from the fact that it is still unknown what exactly in grapes causes the problem, the lethal dosage is also yet to be discovered. Some of the cases involved dogs ingesting more than a pound of grapes while there are cases where dogs were only fed a handful of raisins.

What happens to dogs who have eaten grapes?

Dog who have eaten grapes were reported to experience vomiting a few hours after ingestion. Some dog owners shared that they saw bits of undigested grapes in their dog’s vomit and excrement. Other symptoms of grape poisoning among dogs are diarrhea, lethargy and stomach pain. Symptoms can last from several days to weeks.  Tests performed in affected dogs showed elevated levels of calcium, creatinine, blood urea nitrogen and phosphorous in the blood. After a few days, the urine produced by the affected dog will decrease significantly. The dog will die when he can no longer produce urine.

Prevention is better than cure

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins then the best thing for you to do is to take it to the vet immediately. But as they say, prevention is better than cure. Always be mindful of what you give to your dog. You should also let everyone in the household know about what not to give to dogs.

Can dogs eat grapes? Know more about the toxicity of grapes to dogs and other topics here petfoodia.com

Category: Dog Food
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>